
So I just finished reading the best book ever this morning! It was a book that seems so poetic but engaging. I think this is hard for young children to see poetry as something they can read. Even though this book is not poetry it reads like that and the author really includes a lot of creative justification to make it so great.
The Underneath is in all sense, a love story. It is a thousand year old love story about a cat and her kittens, a hound, Gar Face (an evil antagonist), a giant alligator, and a large cottonmouth snake named Grandmother. I think the book provides hope, suspense, and you don't realize until you get to the last chapter how much love is intertwined throughout the plot.
Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love children's literature. I work all day with it, I try to find the most recent books for my classroom, and I try to share my passion for it. Many people have asked for books lists, so watch later next month for a book list of the best childrens books in 2008. I am sure The Underneath will be on the list.

3 comments:
Oh I love it! Thanks for the book idea I will have to check this one out, it sounds fab! Hope you are enjoying your precious last moments of freedom this weekend!
Just in time, I needed a new book. p.s. You are John, and I can't wait until the book list comes out.
I love this book. I read it so fast because the poetic writing was so captivating. I'm glad it was an honorable mention book.
Post a Comment